Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Whew...I don't have mouth cancer!

Ok, not that I really thought that I did, but you can never be too sure.

So last weekend on my drive home, my tooth/gum felt weird. Slightly sore. So while driving (I was pretty much in bumper to bumper traffic) I try to take a look. What I saw made me nervous. It was a hole, like an divet. I don't remember losing piece of my gum, so I am convinced I have a flesh eating cancer. Super. Google told me it was probably just my wisdom tooth. However, according to Google, you normally get them by your early 20s. I'm not in that catagory, sadly.

I called the dentist to make an appointment. After gagging on the damn x-rays, the awful water pick, and horrendous metal things, I get to see the Dentist.As it turns out, Google was right. It's my wisdom tooth coming in.

What I wasn't prepared for was the fact that the dentist couldn't do anything more than say, "Yup. It's a wisdom tooth. You should probably get that taken out"
Um...this is why I came to YOU. YOU should take it out. Turns out, you have to go to an oral surgeon. Who knew? Now, I have my appointment (consultation)with the surgeon.
I think the referrals stop there. But I clearly new to this whole procedure...so any insight would be great so I don't look like a complete ass!

Clem

2 Comments:

Blogger Margeaux Kramer said...

I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 15. My experience was a bit different than anybody else's because I also had to have my tonsils taken out so my mom had them take both at the same time because she knew if I went in for one surgery, I'd never want to go back for the other. My face did swell a bit but I had all 4 teeth taken out and they were all impacted. I woke up with ice packs tied around my face - tied on top of my head and below my chin. You can't eat pretzels, chips, popcorn or anything that can get stuck in the pockets afterward. You also can't use a straw for a certain amount of time because that can pull the stitches and stuff out. They'll use stitches that will dissolve over time so you won't have to go back and have those taken out. My experience was not fun because of the tonsils but I did lose a significant amount of weight and weighed all of 98 pounds when it was all said and done. That was a good summer!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Scarlett said...

My experience is highlighted by auditorial hallucenations caused by the pain meds, which Charly disproved. APPARENTLY, my irritability to that squeeking sound was not a hallucenation, but the ACTUAL floor squeeking. Said floor board was shared between our apartment and the apartment on the other side of our bedroom wall. I'm convinced the asshole neighbor was deliberately squeeking that floor board to piss me off in my time of recovery.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home