Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My week of being a lady of lesiure came to an abrupt end on Sunday night. Back to the daily grind of Fall yard work and cleaning a house left neglected in my absence.

Recap of DC trip:
Rolled in to town on Sunday, fearful that I had caught the mumps and aware that I would have spread it to everyone on the plane. But alas, the swelling of my parotid glands subsided so apparantly did NOT have the mumps. Phew, good for me!

Monday - Lunch w/ The Future Mrs. Darcy. Spent afternoon trying to read a novel from a Booker Finalist, but found it incredibly boring and atmospheric, so instead listened to my iPod at Starbucks while having the first Peppermint Mocha of the season! God I love those.

Monday night - Dinner w/ some friends where I didn't drink b/c they didn't drink, but I really really really wanted to drink....

Tuesday - After lunch w/ my former boss and confidant, went shopping at Tyson's. Trying to think of X-mas gifts for Rhett, I soon gave up, and took to looking at over priced furniture constructed of nothing more than MDF, but would look great in my house.

Tuesday night - saw Borat. Thought it was hilarious. Rubbed it in Rhett's face that I saw it and he'd have to wait for Netflix. However, since this, our conservative small town has released it so Rhett went last night. Since my s-i-l was lending me her apartment while she was away on business, I took advantage of her dvd collection, the highlights of which are Pride and Prejudice (both versions!) Upon returning from Borat I watched the Mathew McFayden / Kiera Knightley version. OMG! Beside Jaime Dornan, Mathew McFayden is my other celeb crush.

Wednesday - After lunch w/ the Future Mrs. Darcy spent the better half of the day at the National Gallery. Saw a really inspiring photography exhibit taken of New York City in the 30's and 40's. Enjoyed being able to go to the museum alone, for when Rhett accompanies me, 30 minutes into our trip his feet hurt or he's hungry or his back hurts or he wants some coffee.

Wednesday night - Dollar drafts at Rock Bottom in Ballston with Margeaux, The Future Mrs. Darcy & Clementine. We took official portraits of Clem's Love Life Committee members. We mocked Margeaux for not being a more active participant of this here blog. After drinks, went to see Clem's new apt and meet her cats. Both are very cute. Watched 2 hrs. of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice before calling it a night.

Thursday - chilled out while watching the conclusion of Pride and Prejudice. Had lunch at 5 Guys in Old Town.

Thursday night - Tapas with some friends. Good sangria! Though I must say, still prefer Jaleo in DC for tapas.

Friday - had a long long 3 margarita / cerveza lunch with Mr. & Mrs. Popadop & s-i-l. Now, since The Future Mrs. Darcy warned me that I was hanging w/ the big dogs of drinking and it was still only 4 in the afternoon, I decided to stick to water when we left CalTort for 4 Courts.

Friday night - Continued the drinkfest of 2K6 at Porter's w/ TFMD, Mr. Darcy, Mr. & Mrs. Popodap, Clementine & Petra. We left Porters for The Angry Inch and came upon a wicked game of interactive computer soccer in the middle of Adam's Morgan. After a few back kicks we found ourselves at our destination. Thanks to Clem's friendly relationship w/ the bartender, the Miller Lights were plentiful. Mr. Popodap nearly danced himself into a heat stroke while wearing a cashmere sweater in a room packed w/ hot bodies. BTW, if the dj is reading this, would it have killed you to play Beat It or The Humpty Dance?

Saturday 3:30 a.m. - Passed out in Mr. & Mrs. Popodap's spare bedroom!

Saturday 8 a.m. - Woke up and did the walk of shame back to Alexandria which consisted of too many train transfers for someone with smeared mascara.

Saturday - saw Running w/ Scissors - I liked it and think Annette Benning should be nominated for an Academy Award.

Saturday night - Made the promise that I wouldn't drink the night before travel. An hour and most of the bottle of a really good Shiraz later and I kissed that promise goodbye. We had a great time listening to some famous Drum & Bass dj, whom I know not. Got some viva la french toast at IHOP while making friends with some random Canuk. Did the drunk dial to Rhett, who fortunately for him was on Central Standard Time, so it was only 1:30 a.m. for him. Again, passed out on Mr. & Mrs. Popodap's spare bed, which is very comfy.

Sunday a.m. - Once again found myself leaving Mr. & Mrs. Popodap's apt wearing the same clothes as the night before. I made it back to Alexandria before realizing my cell phone was on their counter. Drove back to grab phone before heading to the airport.

Enjoyed myself immensely!
Scarlett

2 Comments:

Blogger snuffaluffacis said...

burning issue is this "Was the BBC version better or what?"

1:57 PM  
Blogger Scarlett said...

I feel that the BBC version is a classic strongly aligned with the novel. However, the chemistry b/t Mathew MacFayden & Kiera Knightley is undeniable! They are both great, so it would be like comparing apples to oranges.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home