Friday, November 09, 2007

I realize that last post was a bit harsh, but I'm having a difficult time assimilating myself with the conversative relm of P-town society. One older female classmate of mine was telling me about her two sons. The youngest son, a highschool senior, is choosing a college and thinks he wants to attend a music college in Boston. The mother doesn't want him to go, because Boston is too liberal. The other, attends a private college in KY. He was shocked to find that the college employs faculty, who, get this: believe in EVOLUTION! Oh the horrors!

This got me thinking: What percentage of Americans believe in Evolution?
So, I did a little research. Typing evolution into Google gives a lot of results. I tried to find the most credible source. Here is a survey found on National Geographic.





This chart depicts the public acceptance of evolution theory in 34 countries in 2005. Adults were asked to respond to the statement: "Human beings, as we know them, developed from earlier species of animals." The percentage of respondents who believed this to be true is marked in blue; those who believed it to be false, in red; and those who were not sure, in yellow.

A study of several such surveys taken since 1985 has found that the United States ranks next to last in acceptance of evolution theory among nations polled. Researchers point out that the number of Americans who are uncertain about the theory's validity has increased over the past 20 years.

Chart courtesy Jon Miller, et al./Science

To read the whole article click here.

Before I found this survey, I asked Rhett for his opinion. He guessed 50%. TFMD guessed 80%.

For the record, the last Pope said that one can simultaneously believe in the bible and evolution. A very progressive stance from a church who historical oppressed scientific thought, in my humble opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home