Friday, April 27, 2007

Clem's Criers

So cutting to the chase, Clem and I were talking about songs that make you cry. I made a whole list and researched how to do Scarlett's cool iTunes in a blog thang but all my music is on my ipod so it's a no go.

BUT this way i can list it out AND give reasoning when necessary

Mad World [covered] by Gary Jules

Colorblind by Counting Crow
This is one of the two songs that I feel is a guaranteed cry

Foolish Games by Jewel

I Know by Fiona Apple
This is the other near guarantee

Everything Reminds Me of Her by Elliot Smith

9 Crimes by Damien Rice

I'll Back You Up (acoustic) by Dave Matthews

[Now this is the 'situational' part of the list- and by that I mean the songs don't necessary all sound as sad as the previous but subject matter is
really sad and that's why I end up crying]

Silent All These Years by Tori Amos

If I Wrote You by Dar Williams

Adam's Song by Blink 182
Now this is the reason I'm glad I can explain. You're probably looking at this thinking "Blink 182- really?" but this song is banned from car trips because even though I don't know anyone who's committed suicide personally when they get to the line "Please tell Mom this is not her fault" I start BAWLING. I'm tearing up just writing it.

Regarding Stephen by John Popper (of Blues Traveller fame)
This is another song which doesn't "sound" sad but this was from a best of VH1 storytellers cd and... Well listen to it and then look up the story if you want but this is one of the two songs on here that features the singer kind of screaming/raging/crying (well maybe not crying) which is always a good alternative to the maudlin and quietness of a lot of the songs.

Break Your Heart by Barenaked Ladies
This is the second screamer. I listened to this WAY TOO MUCH IN COLLEGE.

Widow of a Living Man by Ben Harper

Iowa by Dar Williams

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman
This song is on here for Mr. Darcy. If I'm not careful it will SUCK HIM in and he will listen to it over and over and over and over and spiral away.
[that's the last song that I consider not sad sounding but sad situations]

Romeo and Juliet by Indigo Girls

God of Wine by Third Eye Blind

Hurt [covered] by Johnny Cash

Losing My Religion by REM

Small Victories by Ron Hawkins

Perfect by Smashing Pumpkins

The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

(oh, and why not!)
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Now i'm sure by the last 3 you're laughing again because these are such- "oh this song is playing in the movie- perhaps something sad is about to happen- yup- there it is."

Somewhere Over the Rainbow [covered] by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
This was featured in Donnie Darko and 50 First Dates- I don't know why it makes me cry unless residual effect from Donnie Darko.

I'm also going to throw a general-
all songs by Radiohead.


SO there's that- I'm commissioned our musical genius Scarlett to get together a happy songs playlist to get you all away from the ledge after this.




3 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

I'd like to add: Sarah McLaughlin " I love you"

10:35 AM  
Blogger Margeaux Kramer said...

I LOVE that version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Took me forever to find the right version. It was also in You've Got Mail (if I am remembering correctly).

12:10 PM  
Blogger Scarlett said...

If I can add "Here Comes the Sun" as covered by Nina Simone. I played it at my Dad's funeral, which at the time seemed like a good idea, but in hindsight was not. Now, everytime I hear that song regardless of the version, Beatles, I Am Sam Soundtrack, doesn't mad - I'm a wreck. Same thing with "Hurt" covered by Johnny Cash - I always think it is one song I wish my Dad could have heard, b/c he would have loved it.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home